Thursday, March 15, 2007

~Faux Wood Treasure Chest~





Okay this gives a new meaning to Faux Wood. This took me and my oldest daughter approx 4 hrs to make. It is much more difficult than it looks. First we started with a shoe box (for size 9 shoes [not a small box]). The hardest part was trying to get the adhesive to stick to the glossy box...grrrr. For adhesive we used double sided sticky tape (LOTS) plus some packing tape to secure parts of the lid. We used really rust SU card stock, then did the faux wood technique on it. I was searching for a tutorial on it as it had been a while since I had see it & I also wanted to show my daughter. Cindy decided to come to my rescue and gave me the link to Gina K's video tutorial. Thanks Cindy! This is actually one of the easiest techniques out there and gives great results. The other part that took quite a bit of time was punching out the brackets (used a Ritz cracker box for that) and getting them to stay in the box with those tiny brads and thick layers of cardboard. I also used black craft ink & clear glossy embossing powder to give the bigger brad a look that would work with the small blk brads.

Supplies used:
Shoe box
Double sided sticky taped and packing tape
Really rust card stock SU 12x12
White craft ink SU
Black craft ink SU
Black classic ink SU
Chocolate chip classic ink SU
Black marker SU
ruler
Black brads SU
Aged copper brad (can't remember from where)
Clear emboss powder SU
Heat gun SU
Hemp Twine Natural SU
Round Tab Punch (from the SU Spring mini...I am loving this!!!)

This was for her Humanities class and she still has to create an aged map and other things you may find inside an aged treasure chest.

So what do you think? I am sure she would love to read some comments on all her hard work!

What really impresses me is that she seems to associate any of her school projects with my stamp stuff and keeps blowing me away with her results!

8 comments:

Jana Weaver said...

WOW!!! That is AMAZING. What an increible amount of work it must have taken, but the results are fantastic!! You all did a really wonderful job!

huggs,
Jana

Anonymous said...

And to think her first craft project was painting rocks and finger painting. Of course we know where she got her creative gene from, the same place her mother got it from. Wow, she continues to amaze me with her talents great job, she should get an "A" for this one for sure. So when is she going to build a blog to showcase her talent?
Big Hugs to both of you
Love Mom (Gramma & the Cows)

Anonymous said...

This is really amazing! Looks so real. I'm impressed with all the work that went into making this project. Wonderful job!!!

Janet said...

what a great job you both did :) Janet

Shannon Tompkins said...

Great job.

Was that shoe box like that - with the rounded top?

Creative Expressions by Stephanie said...

Shannon,

It was a flat top...that is part of why it took packing tape to help hold it. We just curved a 12x12 sheet of cs.

QuiltNut Creations said...

that is amazing! she did a fantastic job. i would never have guessed it was a box!

Anonymous said...

Wow... I haven't seen anything like it... it is incredible... well done both of you